HCPC Reg. No. PH57261
“Being a physiotherapist is a privilege, sounds grand and perhaps a little ‘over the top’ but since receiving treatment for shin pain at the tender age of 19 it was all I ever wanted to do. Prior to gaining my qualification I worked as a fitness instructor and personal trainer. I loved using exercise as part of the rehabilitation process within a GP referral scheme we took part in, which further fuelled my desire to become a physio.
As a newly qualified physiotherapist I worked at Rotherham District general Hospital where I decided I wanted to specialise in the field of neurology. However, about a year into my work I developed significant back and leg pain (sciatica) which lead to me having a number of months off work (and some very good physio!) On my return I spent a year in MSK (musculoskeletal) out-patients often treating those in the same position I had been in. Because of my own personal experience of much of a difference the physiotherapist had made to me I wanted to be able to do the same for someone else.
Physiotherapy treatments have changed quite a bit over the years since I first qualified, the most significant being that we no longer advise patients to spend weeks flat in bed or wear a corset to manage back pain. As with any medical profession our understanding of best practice moves forward with research. Movement is the key! My most recent ‘educational adventure’ is gaining my Certified Practitioner Certificate with JEMS (see blog). This Learning experience has allowed me to explore my own movement / posture ‘habits’ and gain a much better understanding of how pain can be a result of mechanical load on the joint or soft tissues. Much more importantly how I can change it!
Meadowhead Physiotherapy really represents for me a desire to be the best that I can be, to deliver best practise to those who come to the clinic and to hopefully enthuse the physios who I am lucky enough to want to work with me!.”
Background, Qualifications & Responsibilities
- 1999 – BSc (Hons) Physiotherapy, University of Hertfordshire
- 2012 – Certified JEMS Practitioner
- 2012 – PGDip Advancing Physiotherapy (Musculoskeletal)
- 2015 – MSc Advancing Physiotherapy (Musculoskeletal)
- Registered with the HCPC (Health and Care Professions Council).
- Member of CSP (Chartered Society of Physiotherapy)
- Member of AACP (Acupuncture Association of Physiotherapists)
- Member of Physio First (Organisation of Private Practitioners)
- Worked for 4 years at Rotherham NHS Trust
- 10 Years experience as a qualified Fitness Instructor & Personal Trainer